In many countries, it is common for high school graduates to take a gap year before starting college or university. During this time, some students choose to travel and explore new places, while others prefer to work and gain valuable experience. In this essay, I will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of both options.
On one hand, travelling can be an enriching experience that broadens one’s horizons and helps them develop important life skills. When travelling, individuals get the opportunity to learn about different cultures, meet new people, and experience new things. This can help them become more independent, self-reliant, and adaptable. Additionally, travelling can provide a break from academic pressure and help individuals recharge their batteries before starting college or university.
On the other hand, working during the gap year can also have several benefits. Firstly, it can help individuals earn money, which they can use to pay for their education or other expenses. Secondly, working can provide valuable work experience and help individuals build their resume. This can increase their chances of getting a better job in the future. Finally, working can help individuals develop important skills such as time management, teamwork, and communication.
However, there are also some drawbacks to both options. When travelling, individuals may face challenges such as language barriers, homesickness, and safety concerns. They may also miss out on the opportunity to gain work experience or earn money. On the other hand, working can be stressful and demanding, and it may not provide the same level of personal growth and learning opportunities as travelling.
In conclusion, the decision to travel or work during a gap year depends on individual circumstances and goals. Both options have their advantages and disadvantages, and individuals need to carefully consider what is best for them. Ultimately, the most important thing is to use the gap year as an opportunity to learn, grow, and prepare for the next phase of life.
- Enriching – improving the quality of something by adding something else to it
- Horizons – a range of experience or knowledge
- Self-reliant – able to do things independently, without needing help from others
- Adaptable – able to change to suit different situations or circumstances
- Valuable – very useful or important
- Resume – a document summarizing a person’s employment history, qualifications, and skills
- Time management – the practice of organizing and planning how to allocate time effectively
- Teamwork – the combined action of a group of people, especially when effective and efficient
- Communication – the act of exchanging information or ideas
- Personal growth – the process of improving oneself through learning and personal development
- On one hand – used to introduce one of two contrasting ideas
- On the other hand – used to introduce a contrasting idea
- Additionally – used to introduce an additional idea or point
- Firstly – used to introduce the first of a series of points
- Secondly – used to introduce the second of a series of points
- Finally – used to introduce the last of a series of points
- However – used to introduce a contrasting idea or point
- In conclusion – used to summarize what has been said or written
Explanation: Vocabulary words are the words that are specific and relevant to the topic of the essay, and linkers are the words that connect different ideas and points in the essay. They make the essay more coherent and organized. The vocabulary words used in this essay are related to personal growth, work, and travel, while the linkers are used to introduce new points and connect them with the previous ones.