Hello Dear Students,
Are You Looking for a Quick Guide to IELTS writing task 2? If yes then you came to the right place. In this blog post, I am going to Explain the Whole IELTS writing task 2. It can be a long tutorial but I make you sure that it is going to be Unbeatable. I am extremely confident that you will get 9 bands in IELTS writing if you read this blog post in full. So, Let’s start this Actionable Guide to IELTS writing task 2 without wasting any time.
What is IELTS Writing task 2 academic?
IELTS writing task 2 is a sub-part of the IELTS writing Module of the IELTS test. It is a formal essay. It contains 66% marks on the whole IELTS writing test. 33 percent is contained by the IELTS writing task 1. So it becomes compulsory to attempt IELTS task 2 writing.
As you know, IELTS has 9 bands in each module and overall. Same as this, IELTS writing is also of 9 bands. 6 Bands are covered by the IELTS writing task 2 and the other 3 are for writing task 1.
- How many words should you write in Writing task 2? IELTS writing task 2 is 250 words. Every IELTS student must write this task in more than 250+ words. If you write under the word count then you will lose marks or band score. IELTS has the most strict rules in all of the world’s educational institutes. So, do not take it lightly.
- Officially Given time to write this task 2: You will have 40 minutes only to write IELTS task 2. But, the time is all yours and you can manage according to you.
- it is worth 66% marks from the total writing marks.
- Academic Writing task 2 is an essay which contains a different type of Demands Such as advantages and disadvantages / Direct questions/solutions & opinions + discussions.
- IELTS Writing task 2 band score Criteria
5 Steps to get 9 bands in IELTS Writing task 2
- Understand the Question like a professional
- Answer’s planning
- Prepare an awesome introduction
- Write the main body paragraphs
- Ended up with a Great conclusion
1. Understand the Question like a professional IELTS expert
The perfect analysis of the question is the most essential part of IELTS writing task 2. Thousands of students made mistakes at the time of understanding the meaning of the questions. They face the problem of knowing “what exactly the Question is about & What wants to say”.
half-knowledge of the question reading leads to a low band score. It can become the biggest reason to decrease your band score in IELTS writing. Before starting to write, you will have to find out the keywords that inform you what the examiner wants from you to write.
2. Answer’s planning
Planning is a remarkable part of every plan. If you want to execute the plan according to the mind of the examiner then you should do the planning. In IELTS writing task 2, you can create Uniques & impressive ideas & organize them in a structure. Genuine planning helps you to save your precious time and write a 100% Mature essay that makes the examiner thrilled.
3. Prepare an awesome introduction
As you know, the first impression is the last. The introduction will decide your band score. the future mood of the examiner can be changed if you do not write the introduction in a good way. The introduction tells the examiner what you are going to write about in body paragraphs and what information you are going to provide.
So you must be prepared to write a good one. For this, you will need proper techniques to write an introduction for IELTS writing task 2.
4. Write the main body paragraphs
Now, these are the paragraphs where you will give necessary information about the writing task 2 topic academic. you have to write what the examiner wants such as relevant ideas, supporting examples, connectors and development sentences, etc.
5. Ended up with the great conclusion
The conclusion is the backbone of every writing task 2. is the total summary that you have depicted in your body paragraphs. You can say this is a mirror of the whole IELTS writing essay.
12 Ultra Beneficial & useful Tips for Writing task 2
Hey buddy, I am gonna write some useful tips and strategies to write IELTS writing task 2. These tips will be a goldmine for you and you will see a sudden increase in your Band score. So, let’s see…
- Understand the demand of the question
- Make a Meaningful structure and frame that nicely
- Attempt the task in any situation
- Manage the sentences & words in each paragraph
- Use relevant vocabulary & good grammar in the introduction & conclusion
- Use idioms & phrases if you are good at
- learn from the mistakes
- identify your weakness
- fix the bug
- get feedback from a mentor
- practice regularly
- Spare time for proofreading and checking task 2
1. Understand the Demand of question in IELTS writing task 2
Before writing an essay, read and understand. if possible, translate into your local or native language to understand what is being asked. By translating into your native language, you can exactly come to know the demand or the question. It is so important to check what the examiner wants to know from you. So, to know how to understand the questions of IELTS writing task 2. Just click on this link.
- How to Recognize the Question of IELTS Writing Task 2?
2. Make a meaningful structure and frame that nicely
I talked about the structure before, but it is necessary to talk again because a perfect structure is an essential part of writing task 2. Do you know what it means? Some students prefer to write a conclusion after the intro part. But officially the conclusion should be at the end after the body paragraphs. That is not wrong to write after the introduction but this is not preferable by the officials. So to write the good structure for IELTS writing task 2. Just visit the link below.
- What is the best way to write IELTS writing task 2?
3. Attempt the task in any situation
do not skip any of the tasks in the IELTS writing test. Some of the IELTS students like to write IELTS writing task 1 and they spend their whole time writing that and think this is enough. But they do not know it will cut their band score and their dream to migrate to the UK or Australia will vanish. So, don’t think about skipping any of them. Just attempt it all. you will be able to get bands.
4. manage the sentences & words in each paragraph
for a 250 words task, write 4 to 5 paragraphs. Manage words and complex sentences + vocabulary in each paragraph. Each body of the paragraph should include topic sentences, supporting sentences, development sentences, and evidence as an example.
5. Use relevant vocabulary in the intro part and conclusion
In IELTS writing task 2, Introduction and conclusion are like the head and feet of the task. You have to show your grip on the English language by using relevant vocabulary, understandable grammar, and complex sentences. Using vocabulary does not mean that you would neglect the grammar.
6. Use idioms and phrases if you are good at
Much use of idioms and phrases does not bring a higher band score. There should be the connectivity of the thought. Writing must be focused on what is asked. It can be risky to use idioms because sometimes students are confused about where to use them and should I use them or not. But if you use them in the right place then you will get a high band score.
7. Learn from the mistakes
This heading looks like a motivational line which people implement in their life. But yeah this also works in IELTS writing task 2. Whenever you sit to write task 2, you face some problems and make mistakes. But I just want to ask you, did you note them on a page or in any notebook? I’m sure you did not. But this is my advice to you if you do this. You can come out from the crowd very fast.
- What types of mistakes students make in the IELTS writing task 2?
8. Identify your weakness
It looks similar to the previous point. But this is not. I mean to say that by this, you should find out your weakness. For example, many of my students are not good at introductions. They don’t like to write it or paraphrase it. Many feel bored to write a conclusion. So, firstly you need to find your weak point.
9. Fix the bug
Now it’s time to remove the problem. After the problem-finding process, you need to crack that. For example, suppose you are facing problems in writing the conclusion for writing task 2. That is your primary problem. Then you have to work on improving your conclusion writing skills. As time passes, you will see the sudden growth in your knowledge and it also increases your confidence.
10. Get feedback from a mentor
Without any feedback, it becomes tough to find the issues in your writing task 2. But this is not possible without an IELTS expert. A Professional IELTS teacher can Perfectly analyze you and find your mistakes. He or she can give you the right suggestions and recommend what to do next. You can even get to know some more things which you could improve by practicing. Find an IELTS Expert who has 5 to 6 years of experience in IELTS. He can guide you with some great ideas and feedback.
11. Practice Regularly for Task 2
I say this line in every educational blog post because, in IELTS, practicing is the most essential part. it does not mean that you have to spend thousands of hours practicing IELTS writing task 2. but you have to maintain regularity. It helps you to remember your improvements. As time passes, you will see that you are getting to know more and more.
12. Spare Some time for Proofreading & Checking task 2
The most advisable tip is to save some time to recheck your IELTS writing task 2. For self and internal satisfaction, you can check the mistakes related to vocabulary, English grammatical errors, sentence structures and supporting sentences, etc. After completing task 2, it is the best practice to do.