Hello Day Dreamers,
Do you want to be perfect in IELTS writing task 2? Of Course, you will answer yes. but as you know, IELTS writing task 2 is divided into 4 to 5 parts and each part has its separate importance. To Write the best and 9 bands IELTS task 2, you have to understand & analyze it.
In this Guide, I will teach you How to understand IELTS writing task 2 questions in an effective way. This will improve your answer and other things which will be helpful for you to get some more bands.
This is one of the primary reasons to fail in task 2. Proper analysis and understanding are the basis of writing task 2. One of my students made the same mistake in his writing test. One day, I took a mock test of all my IELTS students who are very intelligent & their vocabulary skills and grammatical skills are on the next level.
They feel extra confident in IELTS writing task 2. But that is their main mistake. They just started writing without any focused understanding of the Question. Even without any further information or what the examiner wants to know, they started writing the task. They have completed the task in 30 to 35 minutes then that happened which is already have to. They got only 5.5 bands and 6 bands. Those 4 took this lightly and got stuck.
Students think this is the time taking process to analyze the question and it is not important as the teacher says. So what are those reasons that stop students from understanding IELTS writing task 2 questions and how can it harm your writing task 2? Let’s know:-
Reasons that stops students to Understand the Question
- Students assume that it takes too much extra time to analyze the question
- It is not so important to look up.
- It is a time-wasting thing, I should focus on writing the answer instead of understanding the question.
How can it harm your Band score and Put you in a problem?
There is no need to tell you that it will decrease your band score. But the question is how? There can be multiple reasons such as not answering a specific question. Let’s know the list of mistakes.
- Sometimes students generally answer instead of answering a particular question. Because they do not focus on what the examiner has asked in the question.
- This ignorance puts you in a problem or pushes you off-topic. You will not know what kind of question is such as opinion, advantage, and disadvantage or features. It can be anything.
- Misunderstand the question because of contradictory words.
These are the three biggest reasons for mistakes. But you can avoid them. It is not a tough task. Let’s know-how? How to understand IELTS writing task 2.
- Focus on understanding the topic words
- Read micro topic words
- Read the last line to understand IELTS writing task 2, what they have asked you.
1. Focus on understanding the topic’s words : Understand IELTS Writing Task 2
What do I mean by understanding the words of the topic? Let’s understand IELTS writing task 2 with an example.
Some people think that it is important to have a single language as an international official language but others think that it will become difficult to identify countries and it may cause a loss of culture. What are your opinions on this?
Read this question and try to understand the IELTS writing task 2 question deeply. Of course, this is about languages. You have to give the information about the languages. But what is the special in this question? Most of the students made this mistake and they just give answers generally. but this is their mistake. Their answer is connected with the question.
2. Read micro-topic words : Understand IELTS Writing Task 2
What does it mean? Is there any micro topic in this question? Yes, here it is. In the previous part, I have told you to understand the topic words. but in this, I am saying to focus on the micro topic.
In this IELTS writing task 2 question, a Micro topic means that you have to compare the two reasons and tell them what is the best choice about languages. which should be only related to the culture. Because they only have a problem that the culture should not be affected.
3. Reading the last line to understand IELTS writing task 2
The last line is the most important in the IELTS writing task 2 question. because with the help of this line you will come to know what they are asking for? Let me explain with some examples. I will show you some lines which are the informational lines of writing task 2.
- Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement?
- To what extent should children follow the rules? What are the benefits of following the rules?
- Write the advantages and disadvantages of this.
- Give relevant examples.
Just read all these lines and comment below what is the meaning of these? But I must tell you to Understand IELTS Writing Task 2.
- In the first line, the examiner wants to know your personal opinion.
- In the second instructional line, you have to give the reasons for agreement and disagreement.
- Nextly, write the benefits of following the specific rules by children.
- It is clear by the fourth line, the examiner is asking about the pros and cons.
- lastly, give some examples which show relevancy.