Dear IELTS students,
IELTS speaking part 2 is the most crucial part of the IELTS speaking test. In simple words, your whole band score depends on this IELTS speaking part 2 and you can’t ignore this.
All the students have many doubts which I will clarify in this blog post. You will get unconditional value and knowledge in this article regarding IELTS speaking part 2. Many students say this “the long run” because in this part, you have to speak for a long time and this is the toughest thing for non-native English speakers.
There are some tips and suggestions you need to get if you want to improve your IELTS speaking score. Let’s start the tutorial without wasting any time.
What will happen in IELTS speaking part 2?
IELTS speaking part 2 is started when the introductory part is ended. You will get some stuff from the examiner.
- A cue card topic
- A pen and paper to note down the main keywords and lines
- 1 minute to prepare for the cue card
The examiner will give you a topic on which you have to speak for 2 minutes. the pen and paper are for writing the main points on the paper. You will get 1 minute to note down or prepare to speak.
How long is IELTS speaking part 2 ?
Officially IELTS speaking part 2 is 4 to 5 minutes. This is divided into 2 parts.
- A cue card
- Follow up questions
As you know, you must speak for 2 minutes but that is not mandatory. The examiner can interrupt you in the middle if he finds that you speak well and your command of the English language is good enough.
The follow-up questions are related to the cue card on which you have spoken. There is no need to be confused about these questions. But you have to expand the questions and be relevant to the cue card. Do not change the idea or talk which does not relate to the cue card.
How to Prepare for IELTS speaking part 2 in 1 Minutes Preparation Time?
Most of the students fail to prepare for the cue card in 2 minutes. As it is not easy to prepare in 1 minute for a 2-minute cue card. But I will show you the proper strategy to do this in just half a minute. We will do this step by step.
I have divided the cue card into 3 steps:-
- Prepare for Startup line
- Write Main keywords that answer the question
- Ending line
For example:- Speak about a Communication Device you use regularly
- What is it?
- For how long are you using it?
- How did you get it?
- How is it useful for you & Tell some features
- Startup line:- use of communication devices is becoming very popular these days. I am also fascinated by using many communication devices like computers, laptops, smartphones, walkman, etc.
- What is it:- A smartphone of Apple company in rose gold color. It is sleek and has elegant looks.
- For how long you are using it:- I am using that from 1 year that was gifted by my father when I got the first position in my college graduation. It was extremely surprising for me that my father gifted me that expensive gift. But I did not misuse it and that smartphone solved my thousands of problems.
- How is it useful for you:- that is very useful for me. I use this for my studies and capture the pics of documents. The most loved feature is I can store the necessary data and back it up in the storage. it has all the latest applications like video camera, Bluetooth, internet facility, etc. I use it to communicate with my parents when I go out of the station. Every time I feel alone I talk to my friends and relatives.
- More ideas or uses:- I enjoy devotional songs and watch my favorite movies. Social media is the best feature I loved because I can represent my thoughts and pictures among people. I do not even call them. I just mail them any letter or information.
- Conclusion:- hence, in this contemporary lifestyle, I think it is the perfect device without which our life is incomplete.
- Visit think Link to Get the Guide of Cue card Preparation:- how to prepare for Cue card Effectively?
Most common IELTS speaking topics part 2 for IELTS speaking
Although there are thousands of topics which are common for IELTS speaking part 2 but in this section i am going to show you those topic which got high chances to come in your exam.
- Related to Books
- Cultural Events
- Equipments or devices
- House hold equipments
- Historical monuments
- important letter
- learning english
- memeorable event
- national holiday
- tv program
- important city
- famous person
- gift you got
- favourite country
- personal trait
- popular festival
- national bird or animal
- a friend with leadership qualities
- positive change
- knowledge quiz
- favorite subject
These are the internationally famous topics. in some situations, international examiners come to take the speaking test and Indian students do not feel comfortable in front of them. But this should not happen. You should be confident whether the topic is different and you did not prepare for it.
Best IELTS speaking part 2 cue cards
Here I am going to show you the list of best IELTS speaking part 2 cue cards.
- Speak about a book that is your favorite during your childhood
- Speak about a cultural event that you celebrate in your country
- Talk about a place where you like to read and write
- talk about a disagreement that you had with your friends
- describe a lovely event you had recently
- Talk about a situation when you were watching the sky for a long time. (important)
- Describe an unforgettable occasion in your life.
- talk about a website you visit the most
- Talk about your most favorite person.
Reasons to not be able to speak for 2 or 3 minutes
It is not difficult to speak continuously for 2 minutes in IELTS speaking part 2. Many IELTS students ask me “How To Speak On Any Topic For 2 Minutes In IELTS” Because they are not able to do this. But, if you are an IELTS student then you will have to be an expert in this skill. I know that you are not an English native speaker and it is a little bit strange for you. However, it becomes essential for you.
It is extremely common nowadays to speak publicly. But some students feel shy to speak at the time of public speaking. Especially during English speaking. They are not able to build their confidence and stop right there in 10 to 20 seconds.
Every student has a problem speaking in English for a long time. Because multiple things matters at the time of speaking english language. Even for some indian students or for those who do not know english, it becomes tough to speak. But i will include some common reasons which affects you speaking for long time.
1. Your Nervousness
It is one of the most important factor. Many students feels nervous at the time of entring in the interview room. All the students have their problems, some feel nervous to see the foreigner examiner, some feels their uncomfortable, etc. But this can create a big problems.
2. Poor preparation in 1 minute
That one minute preparation is the crucial part of IELTS speaking part 2. But most of the students fail to prepare because they do not know how to do this and what is the exact procedure. If you want to know the process to know “How to prepare for cue-cards” than click on this link to get a full guide.
3. Not learning enough vocabulary words and their synonyms
I do not need to tell you the importance of vocabulary but you must know some crucial things before starting hustle to learn vocabulary for IELTS speaking part 2.
- Learn synonyms along with the vocabulary
- Move on with easy words
- Not down them on notebook
- try to speak again and again
4. Wrong sentence structure or make it simple
Not practicing to improve the structure of sentence. Sometimes, students make very simple skeleton of sentence but this is not enough. the examiner wants to know something another but you have written that in a wrong way. I explain you with you an example:-
- Simple Sentence structure:- The pen is gifted by my father.
- Complex Structure:- My beloved father gifted me that pen on my birthday.
5. Not capable in public speaking
This is the problem of 80% of the students. you do not feel shy or nervous in front of them. it is so common to hesitate. The most common reasons to fell concern are these below:-
- To knowing the topic
- Get organized and prepared
- Visualize the smooth success
- Use fillers in speaking
6. Try to Translate in native language
It is the massive mistake by the beginners. I think you also do this at the time of speaking english. Your mind does not allow to speak firstly you need to translate the sentence then your brain order to speak. this create many problems like fluency breaking, create nervousness, put negative impact on posture, break eye comtact, etc.
7. Less use of fillers
Fillers are the words which allow you to maintain the fluency. let’s suppose you are speaking something but in the middle you forget the word or sentence then it is good to use Ummm or aaa during the test.
8. Fast speaking in IELTS speaking part 2
When I went for my IELTS interview at that time i was beginner & i did not know alot about the test. i use to speak so fast and loud. This makes the examiner uncomfortable and irritate. As you know IELTS speaking test is conduct in the silent room so you must maintain your voice and volume.
9. Bad eye contact and overthinking
Eye contact is the greatest factor and this can make a big difference in your band score. You can express your feelings with your eyes & build the interest. When you are saying a line with emotions but you are starring in the window. This is the wrong activity which is done by the newbies.
10. Bad posture and Gesture
Your sitting position & hands position matters. the perfect postion to sit is your hands should be on your laps and your back should be straight. if you sit like a lazy guy and your hands on the table is the wrong way and it can affect your band score badly of IELTS speaking part 2.